News
  • Login
  • Home
  • News
  • Sport
  • Worklife
  • Travel
  • Reel
  • Future
  • More
Saturday, November 29, 2025
No Result
View All Result

NEWS

3 °c
London
8 ° Wed
9 ° Thu
11 ° Fri
13 ° Sat
  • Home
  • Video
  • World
    • All
    • Africa
    • Asia
    • Australia
    • Europe
    • Latin America
    • Middle East
    • US & Canada

    Woman killed and man injured in New South Wales

    How were Afghan evacuees vetted under Biden?

    Guinea-Bissau coup called a ‘sham’ by West African political figures

    Hong Kong tower blocks fire death toll rises to 128

    Hungary’s Orban defies EU partners and meets Putin again in Moscow

    Families face separation as Haiti TPS scheme ends

    UN panel says Israel operating ‘de facto policy of torture’

    Why the rich and powerful couldn’t say no to Epstein

    Get rid of harmful content instead of us, say teens

  • UK
    • All
    • England
    • N. Ireland
    • Politics
    • Scotland
    • Wales

    The Papers: 'Reeves on brink' and 'Chancer of the Exchequer'

    Stranraer-Ayr rail line closes for £1m upgrade to cut flood risk

    Women in business ‘scraping by’ despite viral online success

    Viable pipe bomb found during security alert

    No 10 denies Reeves misled public in run up to Budget

    The Prem: Newcastle 17-39 Leicester – Red Bulls remain without a point

    Schools told to continue providing RE based on ‘holy scriptures’

    Rangers: James Tavernier defiant but are players good enough to take team forward?

    Machynlleth ‘left in the dark’ without Christmas lights

  • Business
    • All
    • Companies
    • Connected World
    • Economy
    • Entrepreneurship
    • Global Trade
    • Technology of Business

    Passengers face disruption as Airbus makes software updates to thousands of planes

    Tesla highlights low running costs amid disappointing India sales

    Northamptonshire business owners give mix reaction to the Budget

    How to make sure you’re getting a good deal

    Businesses left asking – what happened to growth?

    Households face ‘dismal’ rise in spending power, says IFS

    Fracking transforms an Argentine town but what about the nation?

    Walmart chief Doug McMillon retiring after more than a decade

    The real reason Reeves is making you pay more tax

  • Tech
  • Entertainment & Arts

    Dancers say Lizzo ‘needs to be held accountable’ over harassment claims

    Freddie Mercury: Contents of former home being sold at auction

    Harry Potter and the Cursed Child marks seven years in West End

    Sinéad O’Connor: In her own words

    Tom Jones: Neighbour surprised to find singer in flat below

    BBC presenter: What is the evidence?

    Watch: The latest on BBC presenter story… in under a minute

    Watch: George Alagiah’s extraordinary career

    BBC News presenter pays tribute to ‘much loved’ colleague George Alagiah

    Excited filmgoers: 'Barbie is everything'

  • Science
  • Health
  • In Pictures
  • Reality Check
  • Have your say
  • More
    • Newsbeat
    • Long Reads

NEWS

No Result
View All Result
Home World Asia

Hong Kong tower blocks fire death toll rises to 128

November 29, 2025
in Asia
4 min read
250 2
0
491
SHARES
1.4k
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter


At least 128 people are now known to have died in a devastating fire that engulfed multiple high-rise buildings in Hong Kong.

Eight people have been arrested on suspicion of corruption over the renovation works the blocks had been undergoing before the fire. Three others were detained earlier on manslaughter charges.

The cause of the fire remains unclear, though officials said that polystyrene and protective netting placed on the outside of the windows facilitated its spread.

A further 79 people were injured in the blaze – the city’s deadliest in more than 70 years. Dozens remain missing.

Police went into the buildings to start gathering evidence, after authorities said that an investigation would take place over the next three to four weeks.

The Independent Commission Against Corruption (ICAC) said that those arrested in the corruption probe on Friday included directors at an engineering company and scaffolding subcontractors.

Some 2,311 firefighters worked to bring the fire under control after it spread across seven of Wang Fuk Court’s eight apartment blocks.

Firefighting efforts have now ceased. The fire was fully extinguished by 10:18 local time (02:18 GMT) on Friday, the fire department said at a news conference.

It also said 89 bodies have yet to be identified, and 16 bodies remain inside the buildings.

Meanwhile, crowds have been gathering at a nearby community hall that has been opened to families looking for missing loved ones. Relatives are being asked to help with the identification process by bringing in family photos.

The Hong Kong government has also set up shelters and support centres for displaced residents. Groups of volunteers have been packing and organising supplies for those affected, including clothing and hygiene products.

The blaze started at 14:51 local time (06:51 GMT) on Wednesday, and by 18:22 local time it had been upgraded to the most serious category by fire officials.

The fire department said the fire started at a lower level before moving upwards, and reached a peak temperature of 500C (932F).

As a result, the blaze reignited in some places after being doused, they said.

One former resident, who moved out earlier this year and only gave his surname, told the BBC: “There was nothing we could do. Together we watched our homes burn gradually.”

The fire spread quickly across the separate blocks due to the presence of flammable netting and other materials on the outside of the buildings.

Firefighter Ho Wai-ho, 37, has been identified as among those killed. He was found collapsed at the scene on Wednesday, about 30 minutes after contact with him was lost.

Twelve other firefighters have also been injured, authorities said.

Two Indonesian nationals who had been working on the buildings were also killed in the fire, a migrant charity said. Indonesian and Filipino workers are among those still unaccounted for.

Indonesian worker Fita had been inside the building with her employer when she heard the fire brigade siren. She described it as scary and confusing, but added that she felt “so grateful” to be safe.

“But I’m concerned about friends I know… Usually we talk, and then I haven’t met them [since the fire],” she told news agency Reuters.

Many of those in the shelters have been unwilling to speak to the media while reeling from the trauma.

Shock has quickly shifted to anger in Hong Kong, as questions grow on who should be held accountable for the blaze.

Several residents have said they did not hear a fire alarm when the fire broke out. Hong Kong’s fire service found that fire alarms in all eight blocks were not working effectively.

Meanwhile, one resident told the BBC that some of the alarms had been turned off by construction workers.

Reports of residents’ prior complaints over high renovation fees and whether the materials used complied with fire-safety regulations have also resurfaced and are circulating widely online.

“We have reason to believe that those in charge at the company were grossly negligent, which led to this accident and caused the fire to spread uncontrollably, resulting in major casualties,” a police spokesperson said.

Wang Fuk Court was built in 1983 and had provided 1,984 apartments for some 4,600 residents, according to a 2021 government census.

Nearly 40% of its residents are estimated to be at least 65 years old. Some have lived in the subsidised housing estate since it was built.

Hong Kong’s deadliest fire on record killed 176 people in 1948 and was caused by a ground-floor explosion at a five-storey warehouse.

Additional reporting by Martin Yip and Gemini Cheng in Hong Kong



Source link

Related Posts

Unions ask for rollback after sweeping changes

November 28, 2025
0

Nikhil Inamdar and Arunoday MukharjiGetty ImagesThe new labour rules will make it easier for companies to hire and fire...

At least 44 dead and hundreds missing after fire engulfs tower blocks

November 27, 2025
0

Hafsa KhalilandKathryn ArmstrongWatch: Deadly fire engulfs Hong Kong apartment blocksAt least 44 people have been killed in a huge...

South Korea’s ‘TV dad’ dies at 91

November 26, 2025
0

Lee Soon-jae, one of South Korea's most beloved actors, died on Tuesday at the age of 91, his agency...

  • Australia helicopter collision: Mid-air clash wreckage covers Gold Coast

    520 shares
    Share 208 Tweet 130
  • UK inflation: Supermarkets say price rises will ease soon

    513 shares
    Share 205 Tweet 128
  • Ballyjamesduff: Man dies after hit-and-run in County Cavan

    510 shares
    Share 204 Tweet 128
  • Somalia: Rare access to its US-funded 'lightning commando brigade

    508 shares
    Share 203 Tweet 127
  • Google faces new multi-billion advertising lawsuit

    508 shares
    Share 203 Tweet 127
  • Trending
  • Comments
  • Latest

Australia helicopter collision: Mid-air clash wreckage covers Gold Coast

January 10, 2023

UK inflation: Supermarkets say price rises will ease soon

April 19, 2023

Ballyjamesduff: Man dies after hit-and-run in County Cavan

August 19, 2022

Stranger Things actor Jamie Campbell Bower praised for addiction post

0

NHS to close Tavistock child gender identity clinic

0

Cold sores traced back to kissing in Bronze Age by Cambridge research

0

Cats became our companions way later than you think

November 29, 2025

The Papers: 'Reeves on brink' and 'Chancer of the Exchequer'

November 29, 2025

RuPaul’s Drag Race UK crowns seventh queen

November 29, 2025

Categories

Science

Cats became our companions way later than you think

November 29, 2025
0

Helen BriggsEnvironment correspondentGetty ImagesAll domestic cats (Felis catus) are descended from the African wild catIn true feline style, cats...

Read more

The Papers: 'Reeves on brink' and 'Chancer of the Exchequer'

November 29, 2025
News

Copyright © 2020 JBC News Powered by JOOJ.us

Explore the JBC

  • Home
  • News
  • Sport
  • Worklife
  • Travel
  • Reel
  • Future
  • More

Follow Us

  • Home Main
  • Video
  • World
  • Top News
  • Business
  • Sport
  • Tech
  • UK
  • In Pictures
  • Health
  • Reality Check
  • Science
  • Entertainment & Arts
  • Login

Copyright © 2020 JBC News Powered by JOOJ.us

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Create New Account!

Fill the forms bellow to register

All fields are required. Log In

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.
News
More Sites

    MORE

  • Home
  • News
  • Sport
  • Worklife
  • Travel
  • Reel
  • Future
  • More
  • News

    JBC News