
A man in his 30s has been taken to hospital after he was seriously assaulted during rioting and disorder in south Belfast on Monday evening.
Witnesses reported seeing attackers stamp on his head, police said.
His condition is described as serious and police are treating the incident as a racially-motivated hate crime.
The attack happened in the Donegall Road area, close to Sandy Row, where police officers also came under “sustained attack” over a number of hours.
Multiple petrol bombs, masonry and bricks were thrown towards police.
Petrol was also poured over a landrover and set alight.
Assistant Chief Constable Melanie Jones says “upwards of 100 people were involved” in the disorder.
‘It needs to stop’
During the course of the serious disorder, officers discharged two Attenuating Energy Projectiles (AEPs), with one person struck on the hand.
Assistant Chief Constable Melanie Jones told BBC’s Good Morning Ulster programme the batons had “a calming effect”.
She added that batons were also used during disorder Saturday, which was the first time in a number of years.
A 15-year-old boy was arrested on suspicion of riotous behaviour and remains in police custody.
Attempts were also made to torch a supermarket that had been targeted on Saturday night. Officers were able to extinguish this small fire before it developed.
“Water cannon is always available as a tactic. It wasn’t used last night,” Ms Jones added.
“It wasn’t considered appropriate… [going forward] we will use and consider the full range of tactics.”
Belfast disorder: More on this story

Earlier in the evening, a protest and counter-protest involving approximately 40 people had formed in the area of Ormeau Avenue around 17:00 BST.
A report was also made of criminal damage to a family home in the Pandora Street area with windows broken.
It followed a weekend of violence which saw businesses damaged after an anti-immigration protest in the city on Saturday.

From the scene: ‘Stones thrown and bins set alight’
By BBC News NI reporter Cormac Campbell
At 21:30 BST, the Sandy Row and Donegall Road area of Belfast was quiet, but within five minutes a large crowd appeared on the street.
A huge police response quickly followed and roads were closed on Shaftsbury Square, Lisburn Road, Sandy Row and Donegall Road.
A fire was set at the same supermarket which was burned on Saturday, but it was quickly extinguished.
Although there were stones thrown and some bins set alight, from our vantage point this was more of a standoff than a riot with police loudspeakers telling crowds to disperse and those crowds unwilling to do so.
Police lines with officers in riot gear largely focused on moving people along the road.
Just before midnight, police pushed those involved up Blythe Street – a side street off Donegall Road.
By 00:20, police had started to withdraw from the scene and by 00:45 they were largely gone – but they returned just 10 minutes later when a crowd approached the Islamic Centre on University Road.
That crowd quickly returned back down Sandy Row but the police remained in position through the early hours.

Earlier on Monday, councillors at a special Belfast City Council meeting passed a motion to provide financial support to businesses damaged during Saturday’s disorder.
The motion called for the council to establish a programme of financial assistance for those “impacted by racist criminal attacks”.

NI political leaders condemn violence
Political leaders, including the first and deputy first ministers, condemned the disorder which took place at the weekend.
Police had previously said three of its officers had been injured during clashes.
Earlier on Monday, four men were charged in relation to Saturday’s disorder.

Michelle O’Neill and Emma Little-Pengelly said there was “no justification” for racism, violence or intimidation, adding there should be a “zero tolerance approach” taken towards those responsible for damage.
Justice Minister Naomi Long defended the Police Service of Northern Ireland’s (PSNI) response to the disorder, saying that officers were dealing with a “challenging” and “sporadic” situation.
NI Secretary Hilary Benn spoke with Ms O’Neill, Ms Little-Pengelly and Ms Long on Sunday evening.
The Labour MP described the violence that unfolded over the weekend as “completely unacceptable”.
“Those seeking to divide our communities with hatred will never succeed and I commend the efforts of the PSNI to keep people safe,” Mr Benn said, adding that he was contact with the chief constable to pass on his thanks to the officers involved in the disorder.

Communities Minister Gordon Lyons says there is “no justification whatsoever” for violence.
“It needs to stop and it needs to stop straight away,” he said.
Speaking to BBC Radio Ulster’s Good Morning Ulster programme, Mr Lyons said he condemns the disorder “in the strongest possible terms”.
However, the DUP assembly member said people’s concerns regarding pressures on public services should not be downplayed.
“I’m certainly aware there has been additional pressure put on the provision of housing overall across Northern Ireland,” he said.
“When we try to dismiss the legitimate concerns of people it adds to the frustration that many people feel.
“There is a reflection there of how many people are feeling on the ground.”
Mr Lyons added that those with concerns regarding immigration should express them in “legitimate and peaceful and democratic ways”.